Saturday, January 13, 2018

Where Do You Go For Advice?

     Our modern technology is such a wonderful invention.  If you have a Facebook account, you can go to Facebook and ask advice from your peers.  This was not possible thirty years ago.  Ann Landers and Heloise were probably the closest thing we had back then.

     How do you decide from whom to seek advice?  If you want advice on how to be rich, you should ask a rich person.  If you want to be slim, you should ask a slim person. If you want to be debt free, you should ask a debt free person for advice.  If you want to earn $500,000 per year income, ask someone that is already earning that for advice.  That seems right to me.  Does that seem right to you?
I've got lots of good advice from old men with grey beards


     I saw a post on Facebook yesterday.  Someone asks,"Should I get GAP insurance?"  I would not know what GAP insurance was had I not learned from my students in a real estate post license class.  www.firstrealestateschool.com  I looked at the responses to this solicitation for advice.  Three people said,"yes" " absolutely"   "for sure" .

     I wonder if I posted a question on Facebook like, "Should I wear a mask while robbing a bank?", would my friends respond with yes absolutely and for sure?  Would one of my friends point out that I don't need a mask because robbing a bank is such a bad idea?

     As I saw this post, I felt the urge to to post a reply that you don't need GAP insurance.  You need a free and clear car.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAP_insurance

     This article is about advice.  It is not about insurance.  Ask advice from people that have already arrived where you want to go.

     One way to get good advice is from books.  Many people that are successful in sales or losing weight or family relationships or getting rich will write a book.  They will tell you exactly how they did it.  If you need advice, read.

     Today, with modern technology, we have podcasts and Vblogs and countless articles like this one.  We have a plethora of mediums where people give free advice on how to do almost anything that you might want to do.

     Avail yourself to good advice.  Learn from those that have already traveled the path.  Experience is a great teacher.  The tuition is dreadfully high.  Reading what worked for others is such a better way to learn.  Watching a podcast is so much cheaper than experience.

     Most importantly, when you ask advice, determine if it is good advice or bad advice.  If it is good advice, take it.  Implement it.  Consider this.  If a 25 year old man sat down with a 65 year old and asked the 65 year old man, "How can I be financially secure when I am your age?" and the old man said, "Save 10% of your income, would that be good advice?  That may not be all the advice that the young man needs.  It is a good start.  Seek advice.  Evaluate advice.  Implement the good stuff. 

     Get some advice from someone that knows.  If you have any advice for me, leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment