Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Should I Install A Carbon Monoxide Detector In My Hendersonville House?

     My wife told me that when she was a child, her dad bought a brand new 1960 Ford 4 door sedan.  The first thing he did was install six sets of seat belts in that new car.  Seat belts were not only not required by law in 1960, they were practically unavailable to buy.  My wife had two brothers and Dad's rule was if you are in the car, buckle up.  He was waaaaaay ahead of his time.

     In Hendersonville, North Carolina today (January 2015), carbon monoxide detectors are not required by any law.  They are required by many states  http://activerain.trulia.com/blogsview/4581314/a-call-to-alarms  already.  Just as seat belts have become commonplace in the last fifty years, carbon monoxide detectors will soon be law and soon after that lack of them would almost seem ludicrous.  Get yourself some carbon monoxide detectors.  Install them.  Carbon monoxide does not smell.  You can not see it.  Often, the first time you know it is a problem is after you are dead.

     Can you imagine this?  A guy dies and goes to heaven.  He is standing in line at the Pearly Gate.  He turns around to the guy behind him and says," How did you die?".  The other guy replies,"electrocuted".  He asks,'How did that happen?".  The other guys says,"Well, last month my GFI circuit breaker went bad on my hot tub.  I replaced it with a regular circuit breaker because it was cheaper.  I stepped in the hot tub this morning and here I am standing in line at Heaven's Gate."  "That is the stupidest way to die I have ever heard of" says our hero.  "Oh yeah, How did you die?" asked his companion.  " I died of carbon monoxide poisoning.  My wife went out to warm up the car before she went to work. Our bedroom is over the garage.  I was asleep and I woke up here in line with you to go into Heaven."  replied our hero.  Didn't you have a carbon monoxide detector?"  the electrocuted guy asked.  " No, I was waiting for the state of North Carolina to pass a law requiring them before I spent money installing them." replied our guy.  " Well, one thing is for sure.  You are dead. A carbon monoxide detector would have saved your life."

     Don't wait until you are standing at Heaven's Gate to install carbon monoxide detectors.  If you are a landlord, don't wait for the law.  It is already a law.  Install carbon monoxide detectors in your rental houses.  You might find yourself standing in line, not at Heaven's Gate, but at the court house.

      If you need any help buying or selling a house in Hendersonville, call me, Ron Climer at 828 755 6996

www.ronclimer.com     www.hendersonvillekw.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment