Friday, March 30, 2018

Another Real Estate Instructor Career Killed in Infancy

     Mike McCallister, the current national president of the Real Estate Educator's Association talked to us at the North Carolina Real Estate Educator's spring conference in Cary, North Carolina yesterday.  He told us that we need to bring some young, energetic, new instructors into the industry.

     In North Carolina, when you apply for a real estate instructor license, an instructor license candidate is required by the North Carolina Real Estate Commission to submit a 50 minute digital video recording of his teaching style to be evaluated by the staff of the North Carolina Real Estate Commission.  If the staff does not like your video, you don't get a instructor license.  Here is link to explain my own lengthy, arduous, expensive, frustrating process as an old, experienced, veteran instructor to get my first real estate instructor license in North Carolina.  http://rondclimer.blogspot.com/2016/09/my-process-to-get-my-north-carolina.html  WHAT AN ORDEAL!

     During lunch, just before Mike spoke, I ran into a school director that I had met last year at the NCREEA fall conference last October.  I asked her where was her young protege.  She told me that her young protege had turned in two videos to the staff of the North Carolina Real Estate Commission while she had her six month temporary license was in force.  Both videos were rejected by the staff of the North Carolina Real Estate Commission.  She gave up.
We need young, new real estate instructors in our industry

     WHAT A SHAME!  What a shame that her ability to get a real estate instructor license, based on whether or not the staff of the N.C.R.E.C. likes her video, stopped a career.  If I had the experience in 1978 in Florida when I got my first real estate instructor permit that I had in 2016 in North Carolina, I would haven given up.  I would have had to give up because I didn't have another $150 to pay for another expert video technician to shoot another video.  I could not even have afforded another sim card in those days.  I certainly could not have afforded an expert trainer to teach me how to teach the way someone else thinks is a good way to teach.

     I am not certain but I think that North Carolina is the only state in America that requires a video evaluation by the regulators to get a real estate instructor's license.  I appeared in person in December of 2016 along with several other instructors to beseech the N.C.R.E.C. to eliminate this unnecessary video evaluation hazing process.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPB0ZIwKWk8

     My hope is that other instructors will let the N.C.R.E.C. know that we do not need the regulators to tell us if an instructor is good or no good.  A school director can do that.  It would make sense for a school director to watch a fifty minute video of a job applicant or better yet sit in a classroom with that job applicant.  If that applicant explains things wrongly or has unacceptable poor grammar or offends several students, that school director would probably not hire that  instructor even if they do have a license.  That makes sense.  It does not make sense for the regulators to tell that poor instructor that he is not worthy to hold a real estate instructor license.

     At the recent instructor conference in Cary, Chris Barnett asked us to post some things on Facebook that other instructors would be interested in.  Please get interested in this.  Send an email to the North Carolina Real Estate Commission.  www.ncrec.gov   Let them know that you think the video evaluation process is unnecessary at least and a career killer at worst.

     If you can not take time to write a letter to the N.C.R.E.C. ,   please leave a comment here.  If you disagree with me, let us know.  Maybe there is something that I just do not understand.

     Hazing continues because many people have an attitude that I paid my price, the new guy needs to go through the same process.  Please do not take that attitude.  Some young instructor's career may be in jeopardy.  www.firstrealestateschool.com  

4 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I am a huge fan of your instructional "style" pre NC. That said a video opens the NCREC to huge liability on the subjective basis of a video. ie racism, sexism, reverse racism. Its a mean girls way of withholding a license. To hear you, with decades of instructional success, were rejected initially; is shocking and appalling. Politics should have no place in licensing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame that things are done this way in NC. Different teaching styles are what make us unique. Licenses should be based on knowledge not videos! Not everyone is a good actor for the camera. Why would the commission only give licenses to good actors. I'd rather have a great teacher. I was lucky enough to be taught by Ron Climer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if there is any evidence that these video-approved instructors are better at teaching than instructors from other states that only require the instructor to pass an exam. From what I can tell from reading your blog, the North Carolina pass/fail rate is as dismal as other states' pass/fail rates indicating that the videos do not improve the quality of instruction in North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The NCREC repealed the video evaluation requirement as of July 1, 2019.

    ReplyDelete